Free Hit Counter
www.flickr.com
jack in the box's photos More of jack in the box's photos

Thursday, November 25, 2004

horizons of hope

In the latest edition of the Shankill Mirror John McVicar tells us that Yassar Arafat was the “sixth richest terrorist revolutionary in the world”. Most right thinking people will be horrified by this, not that he was so rich but because of the contrast of many of his loyal people. A few years ago I was in Israel and saw some of the poverty which is so obvious and I also saw the kind of treatment handed out to the Palestinians and some of them are my brothers and sisters in Christ! Then I realise that my religious tradition naturally supports the Israeli cause, who are Jews.

As I let these facts settle in my head I realise that I am also concerned about the vast amounts of money spent by the USA on the war with Iraq: it is estimated that by the end of the conflict, whenever that might be, it will have cost $329 billion. It also concerns me that my national government is spending something in the region of $35 billion [and then I realise what small fry the peace dividend of £1 billion really is as compared to the war fund].

It also concerns me that we in the west are blinded by the present so that we are unable to see the future: the way we are living today does affect tomorrow. Just a short time ago we were thinking about and giving thanks for those who gave up their present that you and I might enjoy our future. Today we hear much about the “war on terrorism” and are amazed how the USA and her allies are able to win that argument whenever the UK government, her staunchest ally, gave that battle up in Northern Ireland long ago. Actually the real enemy is not terrorism it is in a secularism which has led to global warming and if we are not pro-active it will rob us of any future and will only end in total defeat for us all. Even though governments recognise this the USA has refused to sign on the dotted line of the Koyote Protocol because it is against the national interest and it grieves me that the man at the top is a committed Christian.

It concerns me that while we in the west drive our cars and spend millions on retail therapy the other 60% of the world has to live on a daily sum of 70 pence! While we are materially wealthy and spiritually poor they are, very often, materially poor but spiritually wealthy.

It concerns me that this land where I was born and reared is so divided- I remember standing at the door of my father’s chip shop watching the barricades going up, hearing the increasing voices of war and thinking, “what a tragedy”. This land of saints and scholars has lost its way and the only losers are ourselves.

Every year the Presbyterian Church in Ireland [P.C.I] raises around half a million pounds for the World Development Appeal. This is given to Christian Aid and Tearfund who work with their partners in various parts of the world to empower the people in their struggle for life and living. This is not about aid; it’s not about feeding the poor, it’s about giving” a hand up” not “a hand out”. This year the appeal has the title, HORIZONS OF HOPE and it will benefit people in Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Cambodia. A number of years ago I went on a delegation of people from all over the UK and Ireland to India and Bangladesh to see how our money was being spent and how it was supporting the various communities. I was amazed to discover the complete lack of any victim status- they had plenty to feel victimised about but they refused to waste their valuable time and energy on such a negative activity. There I saw life in the midst of death, wealth in the face of abject poverty and determination to make things better, with a little help from their friends. I think there are real lessons for us in Belfast; I think we can learn about transforming our communities and healing our people. Yes I am deeply concerned about the wealth of some people as set against the poverty of others but I have to ask myself-“ what have I done with my wealth? Have I used my money wisely and for others? Have I used my valuable time to work for others? Have I given freely of my talents and abilities?” But I also ask myself and you- “what are our horizons of hope?”

It is hope which keeps people going whether it is on the streets, the stinking streets, of Calcutta or the Queens highway in Belfast. As a Christian I would say that to have any real hope we need to turn to the living God who will transform this secular state in Northern Ireland and in the rest of the U.K. and in the Irish Republic with whom we share the island into a land of saints and scholars. I would also say that it is not enough to be “saved by grace through faith”, that is only the beginning; we need to commit ourselves to a new lifestyle which will make a very obvious change to ourselves and our community:

it will mean doing my best to be “at peace with all men” [and women presumably!]. This will involve both those people I meet in the church and those I meet outside the church. It will mean that the church communities will have to get our hands dirty and commit ourselves to staying in this community- very often we hear of people being called to leave this land and go as missionaries to other lands but not too often do we hear of people being called to stay in the city.
it will also mean making a commitment to work for the good of the community. For us who see ourselves as the children of God it will mean making the hard decision to leave the comfort zone of church life and getting into the community. We must use our Christian Fellowship as a springboard for community involvement and not as a protective curtain to hide behind. We need to empower the people and not just line our own pockets. I have a lot of respect for those who give so much of their time for the benefit of others with little or no personal or financial recompense
It will also mean celebrating what we have. All too often we see and are informed about the problems and we need to study the community and to see it, warts and all, but we will also need to see what God is doing- that is what faith is all about- its believing that Christ is at work among His people even though, at the moment we see little hard evidence. It means that we know that Christ is King and WILL triumph even though, at the moment, the circumstances look very different. We also need to celebrate what is happening in our midst- even though there are problems in the fields of education, health and housing and we are struggling to shake off the influences of drugs and other anti social behaviour good things are happening, people are being educated and housed and getting better.
It will mean doing this together. I love the Old Testament story of Nehemiah who was called to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, destroyed for many years. We are called, whether you are a Christian believer or not, to rebuild this city. Nehemiah saw the extent of the problems- "those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace...."..” and so he called the people to action. He saw that it was an impossible task but there were two obvious plusses- one was the power of God and the other was the power of God’s people- “Lets do this together”. We are stronger together and together the burden is less for every individual. At present this community, which goes under various descriptions- loyalist, protestant, and unionist- is deeply fragmented and in isolation and division there is defeat. In unity there is victory. Let’s seek to be loyal to one another and let’s try to be truly united so that all the people will benefit. David Dunseith asked the question in the virtual Assembly the other week- what would you do with the £1 billion peace dividend or sweetener. Who needs a sweetener to desire peace? Let’s just remember this: our hope will never be met with more money as it so often divides and defeats. It would be better to do without the money if we could only be one people. Money will only help when brothers are united with one purpose and one cause. We cannot and will not be bought with money but we will give heart and soul to the task of unifying this community and when that happens the money will follow.

What are our horizons of hope? The same as the people in far away places, one cause and a lot of self-sacrificing hard work and the plentiful and wondrous Grace of God.


1 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

Jack,
Wonderful sermon! Wish I could have been there to hear it first-hand. There's nothing like a little America-bashing to get the blood flowing. I just wish the Christians in America (especially the evangelical, mainstream denominations) would recognize the horrors and unChristian nature of war, especially one like the curret. I hope all is well and keep in touch.

Gordon the American

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home